NFS Client for Windows XP computer crashing with large files

I have recently installed a gigabit card to my home fileserver and was very dissapointed, that the speed of network writes and reads did not increased as I expected.

I found some Samba improvement tips, but they increased the speed only by ~10 percent, while I would expect to have network speed on the range of 50 Mbytes/sec.

To make an experiment I wanted to use NFS instead of Samba, from one unix test it looked much faster than Samba.

There is an official Microsoft client for this, it is named Unix Services for Windows, the actual version is 3.5 and it is quite outdated. Still after installing it and configuring both the server and the Windows XP it worked adn when attempting to read files it was quite stable. But as soon as I tried to copy a 4,3 Gbyte ISO image, my XP crashed completly :-(

After a lot of search finally I could identify that you should apply the hotfix: KB904838 and this will solve your problem.

Back to the original problem, I have measured the following speeds:

NFS:

read: 25 MByte/s write: 5 MByte/sec

Samba:

read: write: 20 MByte/s write: 250 kByte/sec

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting ethernet interface speed in /etc/network/interfaces